Last month, I wrote part one of this post, which focused on the practical grimoire, a catalog of herbs, crystals and magickal implements. Today, I’m sharing the second kind of grimoire I use in my practice: the Chronicle Grimoire, or Grimoire of the Body. This book is less of a catalog and more of a daily journal.
This grimoire is where I record my day-to-day in a mindful and magickal way. I swear I didn’t intend for that to be so rhymey! As I am currently participating in the Lunar Apothecary, I’m also filling my Chronicle Grimoire with responses to journal prompts, meditations and challenges that are part of the program. (If you haven’t checked out Worts + Cunning yet, I strongly recommend it – Alexis is wonderful!)
How to Create Your Chronicle Grimoire
- The first few steps of creating your Chronicle Grimoire are essentially the same as the Practical Grimoire: find a blank journal that speaks to you and bless it in a way that seems appropriate.
- From there, however, the two are quite different. Where the Practical Grimoire is a structured catalog of information to be referred to, the Chronicle Grimoire is a working book, and one that you will hopefully fill up and add many volumes to over the years.
- Consider how you want to use your Chronicle Grimoire. Will you record your health and exercise regimen, your magickal practice, your dreams, all of the above? I think it’s helpful to record similar things every day so that you can track patterns in your life. It is just a matter of choosing which patterns are important or interesting to you.
- Aside from the daily entries, decide if there is anything else you would like to record in your book. You might write journal responses to a particular challenge or record what you see in meditations. The Chronicle Grimoire is essentially a bullet journal so just fill it up page by page.
- When you fill up your current Chronicle Grimoire, start a new one!
The Witch of Lupine Hollow’s Chronicle Grimoire
I will be completely honest, with how crazy September has been, I haven’t really been keeping up with my Chronicle Grimoire. I was really good for the month of August, and then the crazy hit! I’m hoping to actively get back to writing in it every day now though.
My Chronicle Grimoire is housed in a spiral bound lined notebook, because I like to be able to lay it completely flat and open it all the way. This book is much less formal to me than the Practical Grimoire and it needs that added bit of function. I still chose a cover that spoke to me though and that fits beautifully with the rest of the aesthetic of my altar and sacred space.
My nightly record includes:
- Moon phase
- One card tarot reading
- Herbal preparations (generally, what tea I drank that night)
- Magickal practices, if any
- Dreams (which I write in the next morning, or “no dream recall” if I can’t remember them)
Some entries are shorter or longer than others and, no, I don’t manage to do it every single night. It is very therapeutic though to spend a few minutes when possible cataloging the day. I also record in symbols each day that I practiced yoga, my menstrual cycle and important events.
Do any of you keep a nightly journal or some kind of chronicle? Do you consider it part of your grimoire or is it less a part of your magickal practice?